Berlin is a leading design metropolis – for example in the disciplines corporate design, service design, social design, product and fashion design – and a hotspot for creators and startups in design-related areas. In 2012, over 5,100 design companies with nearly 17,000 employees generated around 2.2 billion euros in sales.
At the same time, Berlin is a central location for crowdfunding actors in Europe. The portal www.crowdfunding-berlin.com initiated by the Senate Department for Economics, Technology and Research/ Projekt Zukunft and operated on its behalf by Kulturprojekte Berlin GmbH shows an overview of current Berlin crowdfunding and crowdinvesting projects from ICT, media, creative industries and cultural education. The website is the first to bring the Berlin-based projects together on the major German and international platforms – from Startnext, Kickstarter and Indigogo to Companisto, FundedByMe and Seedmatch. More than 220 projects have already been completed successfully within one year via crowdfunding-berlin.com. We want to strengthen this development.
The Berlin Senate Department supports the increased use of crowdfunding and crowdinvesting and is committed to professionalising them and linking them to the state's public funding programs. Crowdfunding and crowdinvesting are young financing instruments with a rapidly growing market. According to market estimates of the Institute of Communication in Social Media (ikosom), the capital facilitated to date in Berlin alone stands at around 48 million euros.
- ABURY – avantgarde design meets traditional crafts
- CHYVÓN – fair trade and modern business fashion
- CUCULA – furniture crafted by refugees
- paprcuts.de – thin wallets out of tearproof paper
- FreiVon. – sustainable and vegan shoes made in Germany
- Front Row Society – fashion label producing on community's demand
- Heated Vest – vest with heating pads
- Jyoti - Fair Works – supporting Indian women with fair clothing
- PAPERTROPHY – animal trophies made of eco-friendly paper
- ROOM IN A BOX – sustainable fold up bed
- Slik17 – chino pants for business and leisure
- Wunsch-Brautkleid – new, second hand, and tailor-made wedding dresses
The three projects with the most votes will receive the following prize money:
1st place: €5,000
2nd place: €3,000
3rd place: €2,000
The finalists will also receive accompanying PR services. In addition, participation in conferences and presentations abroad by the state of Berlin may be possible.
With these awards we want to make it easier for three actors/teams to implement and market their projects, to honour their efforts in the mobilisation of fans and capital and to help establish talents with innovative ideas in Berlin.
All projects that meet the following conditions can take part:
- The stakeholders of the project are domiciled or located in Berlin.
- The financing campaign for the project must run or have run on a platform which cooperates with crowdfunding-berlin.com.
- The project is or was in the financing phase in the period between 1 February 2014 and 31 May 2015.
- The emphasis of the project is on design/fashion with the focus on sustainability or innovation.
- It can be allocated to the following main categories: Design, fashion & textiles
For the audience voting, the Senate Department for Economics, Technology and Research / Project Future nominates up to 12 projects that meet the criteria named, in cooperation with Kulturprojekte Berlin.
Only those projects are eligible for prize money which have been successfully completed, i.e. which have achieved their financing total, funding threshold or flexible target amount. It is of no significance when the financing phase ends or ended; this can be before, during or after the public voting.
In the event that the financing phase of a project ends during the voting without success, the project is excluded from further voting as the participation conditions are no longer met. Should the financing phase of one of the three winning projects in the public voting not end until after the voting and then without success, the project is also excluded. The next placed projects will then move up in the ranking.
There is no legal right to participate.