Berlin and Brandenburg are fighting cyber threats with innovations.
Under the topic ‘Digital Security’ all questions related to security aspects in information technology are summarized (‘Information Security’). Companies are increasingly exposed to industrial espionage and cyber-crime. BITKOM currently estimates the annual damage for German companies around at least 100 billion euros. Against this background, digital security is becoming a strategic factor for the development of business and industry.
The Digital Security location Berlin
This challenge can be met well from Berlin: At the IT location Berlin, companies, start-ups, initiatives and research work on the issues and solutions in the field of digital security and provide expertise, services and products: In the field of "Digital Security", approximately 3,000 employees in more than 100 companies, such as Bundesdruckerei, Rohde & Schwarz, HiSolutions, PHOENIX CONTACT Cyber Security or Zertificon Solutionsgenerate a turnover of approx. 460 million euros annually.
In addition, a total of 10 universities, universities of applied sciences and research institutions in the capital region - e.g. HPI, FhG Fokus and HHI, HWR, TU Berlin - provide a good basis for expanding this innovative and growth-oriented economic sector in the region.
You can find out how the capital region Berlin-Brandenburg is mastering the cyber threats of the present and the future in our detailed Deep Dive on Digital Security.
What networks and associations for digital security are there in Berlin?
A larger number of community initiatives and cooperation projects are driving the topic forward through joint projects, information and networking. Important Berlin initiatives with a cross-sectional character and significance for the digital security industry include:
- Digital Security Netzwerk Berlin e.V. (DSNB)/ it´s BB: The aim of the network of 14 member companies is a cross-industry bundling of expertise and an exchange of knowledge in order to promote regional cooperation, to foster the convergence of the IT security industry and to optimize the cooperation between science and industry in the field of IT security. The network acts as a point of contact and is intended to provide information, advice and support. The network is financially supported as GRW network by the Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Business.
- Sichere Identität Berlin-Brandenburg e.V.: The association is a central regional network of and for companies, universities and research institutions that deal with questions concerning Secure Identity in the capital region. Its aim is to make politics, administration, business, media and society more aware of Secure Identities and to highlight the range of services offered by its 22 members in this field.
- SIBB Forum "Informationssicherheit: The Forum provides topics that focus on important aspects of information security. At the events, participants will experience information security in a practical way. The forum encourages the exchange of opinions and offers the latest topics, the findings of which are incorporated into the daily work with customers.
- Verband für Sicherheit in der Wirtschaft Berlin-Brandenburg e. V. (VSW-BB): The association was founded in 2010 by leading companies from the region to represent the security interests of the economy in Berlin and Brandenburg. The VSW-BB sees it as its task to inform and support companies, businesses and organisations in the commercial sector in all security-related issues.
- BundesverbandIT-Sicherheit e.V. (TeleTrusT): Founded in 1989, the Berlin-based competence network consists of domestic and foreign members from industry, administration, consulting and science as well as thematically related partner organizations. Due to its broad membership and partner organisations TeleTrusT is one of the largest competence networks for IT security in Germany and Europe.
- IHK zu Berlin: Since last year, the Berlin Chamber of Industry and Commerce, in cooperation with the security authorities, has developed new formats for small and medium-sized businesses and launched a neutral homepage on the topic under the initiative "Wissen was schützen" (Knowledge what protects).
Latest News about Digital Security
The ‘moonshot’ challenge aims to foster the creation of cybersecurity solutions to protect New York City’s small businesses.
Technologiestiftung Berlin presents study on blockchain technologies and potential areas of application.