With a new focus, Berlin Fashion Week started 2021 in a stronger position.
In January 2021, the various formats could only take place digitally due to the pandemic. From September 6 to 15, more than 10 larger formats will follow live and with numerous networking events.
Figures on the fashion industry in Berlin (Status 2020)
- About 3,100 enterprises are working in the capital’s fashion industry.
- About 6,3 billion Euros turnover were achieved by the fashion industry in Berlin.
- 25,400 employees working in the fashion industry in Berlin.
How is fashion promoted in Berlin?
Since 2007, the Berlin Senate Department for Economics, Energy and Operations has contributed well over 15 million euros in additional support to the development of the fashion industry at the location. To mitigate the effects of the pandemic in the fashion sector, around 5 million euros have been made available since 2020 alone, including 3.5 million euros in 2021 for the realignment of Berlin Fashion Week. In addition to start-up funding for platforms, the focus is on presentation opportunities for the fashion weeks in Berlin and Paris, as well as support for fashion labels through workshops and coaching services to further digitalize business processes. The establishment of a permanent Berlin Fashion Hub on the topics of sustainability and digitization is also in preparation.
Fashion related funding programs
- The state will provide 3.5 million euros in 2021 for the realignment of Berlin Fashion Week and additional location marketing measures.
- A further 100,000 euros has been made available for the digitalization of business processes at fashion companies as part of the #DigitalFashionFuture project.
- A digital map lists over 100 Berlin designers and fashion labels with websites as well as ordering and pick-up options. The Berlin Showroom Map can be found here.
- In addition to immediate and bridging loans, additional loans for Berlin fashion labels with a total volume of one million euros have been made available
- Fashion show slots for Berlin fashion labels during Berlin Fashion Week
- Poster campaigns (Berlin) and advertisements (national/international) as part of Berlin Fashion Week
- Presentation opportunities for Berlin fashion labels within the framework of Berlin Art Week/Positions Art Fair
- Berlin Showroom - joint presentations of Berlin fashion labels during Paris Fashion Week
Selection of suitable funding programs
- Within the scope of the Design Transfer Bonus-Programme co-operations with enterprises can be subsidised with up to 15,000 Euros
- Unbureaucratic micro loans from the Investitionsbank Berlin up to 25,000 Euros
- Coaching services of the Coaching Bonus programme
- Loan programmes such as the Berlin Kredit Innovativ programme
- Participations of the VC Fonds Kreativwirtschaft
Which fashion events take place in Berlin?
At Berlin Fashion Week, twice a year, creative professionals, buyers as well as media representatives meet to be inspired by current trends.
In September 2021, established highlights such as the runway shows of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week and About You Fashion Week will meet crossover formats such as the Reference Festival as well as the Berlin Berlin campaign by Highsnobiety. The programs bridge the gap between contemporary fashion and various creative genres and ensure high media visibility with analog and digital formats. Berlin stands for sustainability in action.
We focus on what Berlin stands for worldwide: fashion in connection with music, art, film, innovations and subculture.
The Berlin Fashion Week in September 2021 featured, among others:
- Mercedes Benz Fashion Week
- Fashion Open Studio x MBFW
- Der Berliner Salon "Committed to Responsibility"
- 202030 - The Berlin Fashion Summit
- Green Fashion Fair
- Secret Garden
- Berlin Berlin Kampagne von Highsnobiety
- Reference Festival
- Fashion Positions
- Berlin Fashion Film Festival
- Studio2Retail Initiative
- Wear IT Innovation Summit
- Neo Fashion Graduate Shows
You will find all fashion events in Berlin as well as news on the Berlin Fashion Week website.
Networks and initiatives
- Fashion Week Berlin Website
- Berlin Showroom
- Berlin Poland
- Gesamtverband der deutschen Textil- und Modeindustrie e. V.
- Fashion Council Germany
- Verein Berliner Designer
- WearIt Festival